Monday, October 31, 2022

Why read? It's a mystery!

My family does a virtual book club. On her turn, my sister-in-law chose the works of Agatha Christie. We could choose which of her books to read, but somehow almost everyone read Murder on the Orient Express. She gave a presentation about Agatha Christie and mysteries in general, and then challenged us to turn in a plot synopsis for a mystery of our own.

I took up my sister-in-law's challenge. The next Spectra Crowns Tale will be a retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses, with a bit of a mystery.
The crown princess's scepter was stolen, and Alvis Welson, a young man trained for war who wants nothing to do with violence, must figure out which of the twelve girls are responsible. The Cousin Pact is releasing now on kindle vella as The Spectra Crown Tales Season 3.

I'll be honest. I don't read a ton of mysteries. I love the twists, but I don't always love the slow buildup. I read Hardy Boys as a kid, but mostly for the action. I didn't bother to try to figure out the mystery and let myself be surprised.

How do you feel about mystery books? Love them, hate them, or both depending on the book? Do you try to solve the mystery as you read, or simply enjoy the ride?

No comments:

Post a Comment

April Fools?

  I woke up at about 6 am this morning because my kids wanted to celebrate April Fool's Day, starting with setting off alarms on all of ...