Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Writing is for Weirdos--Connections

 I always thought I was weird for writing. No one else I knew went from class to class clutching a notebook to their chest, scribbling away every spare minute. 


But one year in middle school, my best friends and I wrote Pokemon fan fiction together. We shared our stories with one another, invented love triangles, and occasionally even wrote a line or two in each others' stories.


This picture appears in my 8th grade yearbook. It's supposed to make me look studious. Nope, I'm writing pokemon fanfic.

Writing can seem a lonely thing, but it makes the times when I really connect with people all the more worthwhile. These days, I have a great writing group, where two friends and I submit a chapter every week, check upon weekly goals, and have our characters converse with one another. I have online writing friends in various social media groups (and I would love for you to be one of them! Look for TheSpectraBooks on most social media). I've enjoyed reading some good reviews of my books (Please add to them!). And, just this month, I attended and even taught at my favorite writing conference, ANWA, on using personality systems such as Meyrs-Brigg and enneagram for developing characters.

Writing may happen in solitude, but it's a form of communication. I love knowing that we're not weird--or at least, that there are plenty of other weirdos out there!

Stay weird, friends!
Christie Valentine Powell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kindle vella: What is it and why should I try it out?

News is slowly getting out. A lot of people have heard the name "kindle vella", but not everyone knows what it is or why they shou...